[Papercraft Objects: Printed Templates]


Persona 5: The Animation - Wikipedia

 Looking Cool Joker


For this week’s project we’re starting a new milestone project. Because of this we were challenged with creating an object that meant something to us and for me I decided to pick two objects that related to my love for gaming. I choose Joker’s mask and dagger from the game Persona 5. 

I tried to document everything that I did along the way to show my process. While this week I pretty much only focused on the mask, I did start my work on the knife. However this class the template for the mask was finished.



















Process Work!



Modeling the Mask!

Break down of pieces: 

Eye socket:

For this pieces its located in the middle of the mask's eye socket. Because of its awkward positioning we are unable to unfold it in the middle meaning we have to separate this piece.

The unfolding is actually pretty simple if you are able to write down your process of how you unfold, if you reference some of my paper notes I wrote where the strip starts and ends as a means to keep track when I inevitably put the pieces together.







The Bridge/Beak:

http://




 For our little beak piece here we just create a simple structure, though we will need to do a little frankensteining as this shape isn't something rhino can poof out of thin air. It needs to protrude off the mask as it's going to be resting over the bridge of the nose.

When we eventually move this into "Make2D" we will need to separate these pieces but we can add tabs to stick them together


The Base Mask:

Finally we move into the base mask, this is one of the simpler steps. If you're looking at this piece and are confused Ill let you in on the secret, we're breaking the mask in half! Why you ask?

http://


Lets look at a reference,  

Persona 5 Joker & Mask Cursor - Sweezy Custom Cursors

As our reference here shows the mask has a sort of fold in the middle allowing for it fold in the direction of the face. While doing my papercraft research last week I looked into wet folding origami. If you're catching my drift I wanted to test something out. In breaking the mask into two parts I want to try creating a curve to both parts before connecting them. While adding the curve will give it a more authentic look from the game the broken up into two pieces aspects will also allow me to have it wrap around the direction of the face. 


Final Detail: 



Finally you probably noticed the black eye liner accenting the eyes. This piece is the easiest piece to add as it will just be a layer of cardstock added to the mask and not a unfolded shape we need to add.


Lets make it 2D!

Time to make this model 2D and get it ready for the printer,


The translation into 2D and adding tab was a rather easy step compared to the creation of the 3D models. We've doubled the base mask and eye piece as these are only one half of the mask folded so we need both sides to create our prototype.



Now I hear what your saying, where's the dagger??

While doing this project I created a dagger in order to use in my prototype planning planning to use for next week however Rhino self destructed on me... Well it was partially my fault.

While I took screen shots of my process I was unable to reclaim the file and it was reverted to an earlier version about 3 hours prior meaning I lost all the work I made on my dagger. After this devastating loss and my motion sickness from rhinos constant jerky movements (caused by my lovely mouse) I wasn't able to go back to the program for a bit.
However I still have the screenshots so you can use look at what they might've looked like, enjoy! This will be remade...





Well lets end on a better note right? Here's a rendered version of the mask!





Paper Templates:
lets take a look at cutting lines, and our printed templates





   When doing this step remember to create a rectangle at 8.5x11in and if you're doing this pro tip remember to get rid of your border so you don't print out the border like I did. I will keep it and won't reprint because 1. waste of paper and 2. this is the prototype mistakes were bound to happen!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Mesh Mashup] Extravaganza

[Objectified Response]