[Objectified Response]

    "Why not enjoy them today. Because we all have so many thing that are just around in the closet they're in the attic, whatever, that we don't even think of them anymore[..]" (Rob Walker)


  Coming out of Gary Hushwit's Objectified my thoughts kept ruminating back to three speakers Rob Walker, Hella Jongerius, and Bill Moggridge. These three all shared similar perspectives towards design and more importantly the relationship humans have with objects.  Rob walkers above quote about enjoying the things we already had particularly stood out to me. As someone whose always had an interest in gaming and the consoles surrounding them the way the film talks to the enjoyment and sentimental values over time reminded me of an object extremely important to me, my Nintendo 3DS. While Nintendo has come out with several different consoles since the original release of the DS line and many more companies releasing consoles in efforts to consistently meet the gaming markets demand for the 'new and now' I felt the DS was a perfect representation of that human/object relationship in my life.


"And because you use objects in your home they become part of your family [...] It'll become 'that chair that dad always sat in' or 'that vase that mom.."(Hella Jongerius)

"You'd like to create something where the emotional relationship is more satisfying over time [...] they should grow more fond overtime." (Bill Moggridge)


  Especially through Hella Jongerius and Bill Moggridge I found that they really captured how the power of nostalgia and memories played such crucial importance in the way we as humans value the items in our lives. In Jongerius' quote her way of highlighting how these little association are so important to objects how they shape our understanding of not only our things but others as well. It made me think about every little memory growing up with a DS that rush of nostalgia that no new console could ever replicate. Those late night under covers, hiding your DS from mom and dad under the pillow. Trading pokemon with the neighbour, being a dumb 8 year old and trading off my starter for a bidoof. Using pictochat to talk with cousins, leaving my DS in the car during winter and getting that black line across the screen because it was 4o below outside. Despite my DS not having great graphics or even an abundance of games or memory I could store on it, when I looked around my room my switch and ps4 could only bring me a fraction of the joy that my DS could.


"You're going to pick the most meaningful objects to you because those are the true objects that truly reflect the true story of who you are and what your personal narrative is and the story that your telling yourself and no one else because that's the only audience that matters." (Rob Walker)


   While a lot of what Rob Walker talked about spoke to me this quote in particular stuck with me. This quote really boiled the human/object relationship down to how it defines us as people, how the things we have are connected to who we are. This core idea that people's most meaningful objects speak to the narratives of that persons life really struck something with me. My DS was something that shaped who I am and I hadn't even thought about it. My DS got me interested in pokemon and sonic, which got me interested in cartoons and gaming which in turn had me growing up playing with different consoles and making friends with others who had DS'. My love of cartoons like pokemon and sonic eventually got me into drawing fan characters and sparked my artistic cord. This little red rectangle I own has shaped so much about me and this film really opened my eyes to how important it was in my life on a deeper level.


   So now that I  got all the sentimental talk out of the way we can finally look at my object design!




   Starting with the basic front design I'll break down how I built this puppy! When building something with so many little details I decided to start building from the bottom and only worked on the bottom till I was sure i was finished then moved on. The only shapes I used in the building of this were cubes, cylinders, a single half sphere, little dice for the lights and scribble for the lettering. To start building this I started with a simple rectangle that I rounded off using the radius function. From here I duplicated the base and made it slightly smaller, making sure to turn off snap grid to get more exact with the slight difference in size for the base. After the creation of base we can start with the screen, we start with a small square base and using the hole function we cut out a screen area after which we use the hole function but leave it ungrouped to get that screen effect. 

   From here we can use a combination of cylinders for buttons and the circle pad. The buttons are straight forward just cylinders, however with the circle pad we have to make a flat circle hole in order to replicate the definition in the console, which we can then fill in by copying the hole shape and scaling it down from its centre to get an accurate positioning .  For the D-pad(the little cross) we take a rectangle and copy that same shape, rotating it to get a nice cross shape. Now while you can use scribble for the little embellishment lines I didn't know it existed at the time so I used super skinny rectangles which I then copied multiple times. 

  For the connecting piece (connecting the top and bottom) I experimented with two rounded rectangles, rotating them to get that more unique blocky cylinder effect.  





  Sliders and Bumpers are next! For sliders we have another simple process, using a rectangular hole we can cut out the space for the slider then copy the shape and cut its length. For the bumpers we just need rounded cubes to create the bumper effect which we can then merge into the back of the DS to create the look that they're able to be pressed.

  Let's also cover our back while we're at it!  Our black lights  (the dice shapes) will follow the same process as the bumpers simply merging with the original shape, and our cut outs will be another simple process we'll need to make smaller cutouts in the back then copy the shape and scale down for any pieces inside the cutouts. The cartridge cut out and pen holder are similar processes of just cutting in holes just make sure your scaling is accurate so you can fit everything on the back piece. 





  For out top part we're going to use a replicate of the original base shape but we'll need a slightly different approach. Make sure when making the top to cut out and round the edges that connect the bottom to the top. The top of the DS is slightly more layered so we'll use our original base but add flat cubes to create that distinct layering effect. For the top piece we have a crucial step which is so make majority of the base actually black. We need this because when cutting holes into our base for our cameras and screen we still need a black inside so we can get the screen like effect. If we don't do this process the inside of our hole will be bright red!  However since the outside of the base needs to be the same base colour (red) we'll need to insert a slightly smaller black box inside the base that doesn't overlap the base colour. After we do this we can cut our screen hole as well as our camera holes which all use the same screen technique as the bottom piece. Using a cube (for our screen) and cylinder (cameras) we cut and fill our holes to get the screen effect.


Finally one of the easier and quick steps is to embellish with letters! Using the scribble function we can create letters and flatten them out so they can be seamlessly added to our buttons!


For some finals pictures I wanted to capture the 3DS closed so here's what it looks like closed! 






"At the end of the day when you're looking around at the objects in your house and you're deciding what here really has value to me, they're going to be things that have some meaning in our life."(Rob Walker)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Mesh Mashup] Extravaganza

[Papercraft Objects: Printed Templates]